Ghostwood Whiskey wins Double Gold at the San Francisco World Spirits Competition, one of the most respected and influential spirits competitions in the world.
The Win: To further gain exposure and share the story and quality of Ghostwood Whiskey, Ghostwood headed to the San Francisco World Spirits Competition. Since its introduction in 2000, the SFWSC has become one of the most respected and influential spirits competitions in the world. Meaning that obtaining an award is one of the most reliable and universal indications of a spirit’s excellence. Ghostwood Whiskey has been pushing boundaries and reinventing the “traditional” whiskey. Creating something attractive enough to gain new customers but smooth and sophisticated enough to attract whiskey aficionados. What makes it different? The taste and the experience. Ghostwood Blended Bourbon is a high rye, 4-grain whiskey that provides a comfortable, smooth and rich beginning followed by a wonderfully sweet corn caramel flavor, and finishes like a spicy carrot cake. After competing with more than 5,500 entries from all corners of the world, Ghostwood Blended Bourbon Whiskey was awarded double gold at the San Francisco World Spirits Competition. The Double Gold designation is awarded to the very few entries that receive Gold medal ratings by all forty members of the judging panel. Meaning Ghostwood Whiskey is one of the finest products in the world.
Lucas Perks, Founder and owner of Ghostwood said, “It’s gratifying to me that others can see, smell and taste the passion behind this product. So much of my personal vision of a “great bourbon” is in that bottle. When I began distilling for myself my only goal was to create something which meets my own palate. Turns out, I was pushing a very fun and new boundary.”
“Go beyond the firelight”: What started out as a dream continues to grow beyond that. In 2014 Lucas had the bravery to go, “beyond the firelight”. Beyond what is known and comfortable. In doing so he has created and continues to build an award winning product and a loyal community in Ghostwood. Ghostwood is complex and intricate but still reliable and easy-going. It is a bit of a different product, but is one that allows you to appreciate the “journey” of a great whiskey. From the ingredients to the black bottle Ghostwood is a journey and an experience. We at Ghostwood have believed in and appreciated the journey of Ghostwood, however the appreciation from the judges and the validation from the double gold award from SFWSC makes the dream really come to life.
When asked about the future of Ghostwood, Lucas said, “The whole point of the business is to share my love of good whiskey with the world, but to also create a lasting family brand that will endure for many generations. Like the great whiskey makers of America’s past. Ghostwood is built to be a legacy brand which will never compromise our principles of excellence, exploration and honesty.”
Notes About the Award:
- Since its introduction in 2000, the SFWSC has become one of the most respected and influential spirits competitions in the world. And that means that the award is one of the most reliable and universal indications of spirits excellence.
- Double Gold: The Double Gold designation is awarded to the very few entries that receive Gold medal ratings by all members of the judging panel. Meaning Ghostwood Original Whiskey is one of the finest products in the world.
- Silver: Products awarded a Silver medal are outstanding in their category. They show refinement, finesse, and complexity. Ghostwood Black, Barrel Proof Whiskey is one of the best examples of its particular category.
Facts About SFWSC:
- This was the 22nd San Francisco World Spirits Competition; it was founded in 2000 as a way to recognize exceptional products in the spirits industry.
- The 2022 Competition had almost 5,000 entries.
- The SFWSC is considered to be the most influential spirits competition in the world.
- The 40+ judges of the 2022 Competition are established spirits industry experts, including: Anthony Dias Blue (Executive Director), author, editor, publisher, and one of the most influential food, wine, and spirits writers and lifestyle personalities in the U.S.A.
- Jeffrey Morgenthaler (Director of Judging), of Clyde Common at Portland’s Ace Hotel, named America’s Bartender of the Year and the country’s Best Cocktail and Spirits Writer at the 2016 Spirited Awards.
- Medal winners represent some of the finest products from around the world
- This recipe was inspired by-and for-that world, when the remnants of summer have given way to the bracing turn of winter and darkness lurks just over your firelit shoulders.
- Taste: “Rich sweet corn, spicy rye note, finishes like a spice carrot cake”.
Why the whiskey lives up to the award:
- Lucas perks, founder and owner, never compromised on the quality of the whiskey. He wanted a specific taste…something attractive enough to gain new customers but smooth and sophisticated enough to attract whiskey aficionados.
- Ghostwood original is a high rye, 4 grain wheated whiskey.